A lovely & stylish fellow newbie blogger (we actually started our blogs the same day, 2 weeks ago today!), Julie at At Least I Look Cute has nominated me for the Liebster Award for new bloggers! This award is for new blogs with under 200 followers to promote their new blogs. Once nominated, bloggers answer 11 questions posed by the one who nominated them, and then nominate 11 of their own favorite new blogs. Sounds fun, right?
So, here’s a chance for you all to get to know me better! Here are the 11 questions and my answers:
1. What’s the best fashion advice you’ve ever received?
To eschew all fashion advice that you don’t personally like. Or, to put it simply: f*ck flattering! No horizontal stripes, nothing that shows your stomach, wear dark colors….the traditional fashion advice for fat women is basically to try to fool people into thinking we’re not fat, which is ridiculously stupid. So, wear what you like, no matter if it follow the “rules” or not!
2. What was your biggest fashion fail?
Welllll once in high school the crotch of my jeans split wide open while I was in school. That was embarrassing. Damn chub rub!
3. Why did you want to start a blog?
I already posted outfits on the fatshionista community, and on my tumblr sometimes, and I thought making a blog expressly devoted to my own original content, rather than it getting lost in the midst of reblogs about everything under the sun, sounded like fun.
4. What’s your dream job?
Ha! This question! Well, right now I’m studying politics and history….and I have no idea what I want to do. None whatsoever. Slightly snarky answer: my dream job is winning the lottery, so I can do all the other things I love and not worry about money 🙂 Real answer: I guess I need to figure that out!
5. Where do you get style inspiration?
From all kinds of amazing bloggers! You can see some of the list in my sidebar, and there are a lot of great plus size fashion bloggers on Tumblr, too. Not that I’m only inspired by fat bloggers, but, well, I’m more likely to be able to reproduce a look on a fellow fattie than one I see on a thin person. Plus, we see enough images of thin bodies, I like to train my brain to recognize positive images of fat people!
6. What’s your favorite magazine and why?
I don’t really read a lot of fashion magazines; see the above-mentioned bit about the glut of thin bodies in the media. And I haven’t really come across any great plus size publication yet. I do read newsy magazines sometimes, though, like the Atlantic, the Wilson Quarterly, and so on.
7. What motivates you to keep up with your blog?
I have a lot of fun taking my outfit pictures and sharing my style, as well as sharing some of my opinions. This blog hasn’t gotten too political yet, but it’s only been two weeks! Remember the third “f”; you’ll certainly be hearing more about it from me at some point when I have more time to write.
8. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I have absolutely no idea. I couldn’t tell you what continent I’ll be on, much less exactly what I’ll be doing with my life!
9. Where are your favorite places to shop?
Everywhere that carries my size! Which is sadly few. But my main go-to places are ASOS Curve, Dorothy Perkins, Forever 21+, and Target. I think those 4 make up well over half my wardrobe, actually! As well as secondhand shops, eBay, and the like, of course. I’m a poor student!
10. What’s the best concert you’ve ever been to?
Mumford & Sons last year, I’d have to say. But really, I’m not much of a concert-goer.
11. What are you passionate about?
Lots of things! Fashion, I guess. My political beliefs, based in feminism and of course fat acceptance. Traveling. Delicious food. Spending time with the people I love. Photography maybe, although in that arena, I’m less motivated these days.
Thanks again to Julie from At Least I Look Cute for nominating me!
Now, on to my picks. It was quite a challenge for me to find 11 new blogs; in the end, I only had time to find five–oops! If you know of any others I should check out, let me know 🙂 Instead of the vague definition of “new,” I went with the “less than 200 followers” rule, so some of these aren’t really brand new, they’re a few months old, but they do have less than 200 Google followers (and funnily enough, all of these blogs are on blogspot so you can see the follower count).
Should any of you lovely ladies like to answer some questions & post this on your own blog, here they are:
1. How did you first get interested in blogging?
2. Is your fat fashion blogging political, or do you just like to post fashion and happen to be plus-size?
3. Where do you get your style inspiration?
4. Is there any store/brand that you really wish would expand their size range?
5. What trends do you like for the current season?
6. Do you follow fashion “rules”?
7. If you weren’t a fatshion blogger, what kind of blog might you have?
8. If you could blog as your full-time job, would you?
9. What’s your “dream job”?
10. Do you have anything in your closet that’s so awesome, you bought more than one of it?
11. How would you describe your style in 5 words or less?
Thanks for reading, everyone!